Fiddlerman

Fiddlerman
Fiddlerman

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Violinists - Do you use a shoulder rest?

Hey,
I have read many discussions about shoulder rests and would like to have one here.
Personally I don't use one. Not because I am against them in any way. It is just that I don't need one. I have a short neck and like to balance the fiddle way up on my shoulders instead of having it on my chest. There are clear advantages to using a shoulder rest such as not dampening the sound by having contact on the ribs of the violin instead of where your shoulder would be touching it without a shoulder rest. I feel as though it is a good thing not to raise the violin too much to avoid the need to lift the bow arm more than necessary.
Tell us your thoughts on shoulder-rests

No comments:

Post a Comment